Friday, February 8, 2013

Mari's Basic White Cake

someone gets grumpy if there "doesn't is anything sweet"
After every meal Yannis asks "do there is anything sweet?"  I usually offer him some fruit as I've quit baking sweets for the two of us.  If he shakes his head in disappointment I'll whip up a white cake and in a half an hour he's enjoying his dessert.  I think this is the recipe I've prepared more than any other throughout my baking  years!  The secret to it's wonderful dense consistency is the butter and whole milk, and  we love the taste of coconut mixed in. So.  I'll be making one of these for Valentine's Day.  I'll serve it with whipped fresh cream and juicy strawberries, so when Yannis asks for something sweet, I'll tell him he can have his cake..and eat it too!

Mari's Basic White Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs

Beat the above ingredients together, add alternately...

2 cups flour with 2 1/2 teas. baking powder, 1/2 teas. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 teas. vanilla or 1 teas. fresh lemon juice

stir well and add 1 cup of coconut (optional)
pour in round cake pan, bake at 350 F./180C. for 25-30 minutes

I use this cake to serve with fresh fruit and ice cream or whipped cream (or both)- I also frost this cake with white butter cream frosting, or chocolate cream frosting, or just sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment