Friday, February 1, 2013

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


I asked Yannis if he had any suggestions for a recipe this morning.  He said, "Yes, why don't you do something healthy, like carrot cake?"  I laughed as Yannis is known for choosing flavor over nutrition every time!  Ok, I know that carrots are full of carotene, which turns into Vitamin A, and we all know that helps us see better...even in the dark!  I also know carrots are full of fiber, anti oxidants and minerals. I know walnuts are a good soure of protein, as are eggs. So, I guess I'll take Yannis advice and get grating some carrots.  I also know eating carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is a real joy!!!  And we all know joyful people are really healthy!!!

Carrot Cake 

3 cups flour
1 teas. baking powder
3 teas. soda
1 tes. salt
2 teas. cinnamon
2 cups sugar (I use mainly light brown sugar)
1 1/2 cups oil
3 cups grated carrots
4 eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cp sultanas

sift dry ingredients; beat sugar and oil very well; add eggs one at a time; add flour mixture and then fold in carrots, nuts and sultanas. I sometimes add 1/2 cup crushed pineapple if I have it on hand.  Bake in 2 round pans or a bundt pan at 350F/180C for 40-45 minutes.
When cool frost with.....


M.J.'s first attempts at skin whitening
involved copious amounts of Cream Cheese Frosting



Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
6 Tables. butter , softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teas. vanilla extract
juice of 1/2 lemon
dash of salt.

Cream together the butter and cream cheese; slowly beat in the powdered sugar till smooth and lump free; add the vanilla, lemon juice and salt.  Frost a 2 layer or  drizzle over a bundt cake....no ice cream required for this awesome dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment