Monday, February 4, 2013

Bran Muffins

When we first lived in Greece in the 80's, there were alot of things I didn't dare to dream of having. I didn't dream of having a telephone, (it took ten years to get a telephone after making an application!). I also didn't dream of renting a video, going out for fast food, buying a car or making bran muffins. Not only couldn't you find muffin papers, the cereal aisle consisted of Corn Flakes, Weetabix and Wheetabix Flakes.  I loved so many things about Greece back then when it was so Greek, but I do appreciate the fact that I have a phone, car, internet and can dream about making Bran Muffins any time I feel like it!!

Bran Muffins

1 cup hot water
1 cup 100% Bran
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tables. molasses
2 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 teas. salt
2 cups All Bran
1 cup rolled oats or granola
walnuts and raisins (optional)

I may/may not have had too many muffins

Mix water and bran and let stand till cooled; cream shortening, sugar , eggs and molasses till smooth.  Sift dlour, soda and salt and stir into batter;  Fold in All Bran until moistened.  Walnuts, raisins and small apple bits are optional.  Bake in muffin tins 20 minutes at 350F./200C.  The batter may be kept in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.  You can also double this recipe to have a batch of muffins ready for big groups.  I love these warm, with butter, maybe even honey, with my morning coffee; and they aren't too bad served for dessert either!

No comments:

Post a Comment