Monday, December 10, 2012

Shrimp Saganaki

Today I'm making a nice spicey shrimp saganaki.  Whenever I think of shrimp, I remember spending most of my summer days in the beautiful seaside resort of Glyfada.  There my friends and I would dive into the rocks to pick up octopus and big crabs.and if we really needed a challenge, would throw out nets to catch shrimps.  We would then use the shrimps as bait to catch the big fish.  One summer night my Dad had taken the family out to a fish taverna where he ordered lots and lots of appetizers.  My eye caught the shrimps in a red sauce with chuncks of feta .  Oh my gosh!  I emptied the plate in minutes!  Ever since I consider shrimp wasted as bait....so get out the skillets and lets get cooking.

Shrimp Saganaki     
10-15 medium shrimp,shelled  and deveined
juice of one lemon
3 Tables. butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, grated
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup white wine
i garlic clove, chopped
1/2 teas. oregano
1 Tables. chopped parsley
2 cups crumbled feta
1 shot glass ouzo

Pour lemon juice over cleaned shrimps in a bowl and set aside.  Sautee the onion, garlic and green pepper in the olive oil  in a skillet; add the tomato sauce and the wine and simmer for about 20 minutes.  In another skillet sautee the shrimp in the butter untill they are pink. Pour the sauce over the shrimp, add the feta and simmer for about 5 minutes, add the ouzo, remove from fire, cover  and let sit for a couple of minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.  The saganaki can be served with rice pilaf as a  main dish or with lots of crusty bread for a starter... and  a well chilled retsina.

No comments:

Post a Comment