Friday, April 19, 2013

Shrimp Risotto

--other things that lay nicely on a bed of rice (non-vegetarian)
Rice may be the second most widely produced food in the world, but in our home it is the food we produce the most of! It is the one thing everyone in the family absolutely loves, except me.  That is, until I made risotto with shrimp. I enjoyed this dish so much that I had to hold myself back from seconds and thirds.  Tonight I will make risotto with shrimp for Yannis birthday celebration.  I like to make my family their favorite foods on their special day, but lamb chops are just too smelly and they don't lay nicely on a bed of risotto.  Shrimp, like rice, is another food the Karakalos family all enjoy.  It looks like I finally hit on a recipe I can make to please the whole bunch.  So we'll celebrate with risotto tonight, and  when Anna and Pano get here, and when Théa gets here, and when Ari and Ariane get here, and when the Swedes come over, and when the Dutch come up, and when the Norwegians visit,.and for my birthday party...yeah, oh yeah!

Shrimp Risotto

1/2 cup butter
1 carrot, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup risotto rice,  Arborio
1/2 cup white wine, slightly warmed
5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
20 medium shrimp, peeled and cleaned
2 Tables. butter
2 Tables. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

In a large skillet, sauté the onion and carrot in the butter for 2 minutes; add the rice and sauté until golden brown; add the warm wine and cook until the wine evaporates.  Add enough broth to cover the rice, stirring frequently; keep adding broth for the next 20 minutes, just covering the rice, untill you use all of the broth.  Meanwhile, sauté the shrimp in the butter, oil and garlic untill browned, add the sprig of rosemary and simmer for 2 minutes; remove the rosemary and add salt and pepper.  When all the broth has beenadded to the rice, remove from the fire and stir in the parmesan cheese.  Serve immediately, putting the shrimp over the rice as you serve it.  This amazingly tasty dish is nice with a simple green salad and a nice white wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment