Friday, March 22, 2013

Apple Struesle

 "I throw the apple at you, and if you are willing to love me, take it and share your girlhood with me, but if your thoughts are what I pray they are not, even then take it, and consider how short lived is beauty". -Plato                                                                                                                              

I took several theatre classes when I went to University.  One of those classes was Greek Mythology.  The stories of the Greek gods and their dealings with mankind were so captivating to me and I remember even back then that I thought it would be so wonderful to visit the land that inspired such drama!  Now that I live in this beautiful country I am reminded of my university classes almost every day....drama, drama, drama...even when it comes to apples.  Apples were sacred to Aphrodite, the goddess of love.  Back in her day, to throw an apple at someone was to declare one's love and to catch it was to symbolically show one's acceptance of that love.  I wonder if it would have the same significance if one would throw apple struesle?  I served it after our dinner party last night..... without drama, except for the boisterous compliments.



Apple Streusel
1 1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 apples, sliced , squeeze the juice of 1/2 orange over to keep from turning brown.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 Tables. butter
dash of salt
HELPFUL HINT: If you are buying Apples from these guys,
don't make streusle out of them.

(First Apple computer recently sold for $374,000)

Preheat oven to 350F./180C. In medium mixing bowl, stir all of the dry ingredients together; mix the wet ingredients together and stir into the dry ingredients (do not over stir). Stir the apples into the batter and spread into an 8" square pan.

Mix together with your hands till butter is distributed evenly throughout.  Sprinkle on the batter and bake for 25-30 min., or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Eat this a bit warm; I like it with butter for breakfast, or with cream or whipped cream for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment